Matchday 12 – PDM Buildbase Premier Division Review

The twelfth matchday of the PDM Buildbase Premier Division took place over the weekend and there was as usual a lot of goals, drama and action across the division.

We start at the Match of the Day at Newlandsfield where over 900 people were in attendance as home side Pollok took on visitors Darvel. Pollok went into the match level on points with the visitors knowing that a win would give them a 3 point cushion, with Darvel still having a game in hand, and in the 15th minute of the match Josh Weir headed them into the lead with a fine diving header in what proved to be the only goal of the match much to the delight of the home fans. Pollok moved to within two points of 3rd place Kilwinning with a game in hand, having collected 23 points from their 11 league games so far and ending a run of two games without a win, Darvel remain in 5th but their winless streak now stretches to 3 games having drawn their previous two WoSFL matches.

Leaders Auchinleck Talbot kept up their unbeaten start to the season at Beechwood as they put Cumbernauld United to the sword with a 3-0 win. Talbot had drawn with Beith in their last outing and were looking to get back to winning ways. The first half was goal-less but there wasn’t long to wait for the opener after the break when Dwayne Hyslop’s header was deemed to have crossed the line after 46 minutes to put Auchinleck in front. They doubled their lead in the 70th minute when a quickly taken free kick sent Aiden Wilson into the box, his low cross was blocked but the ball landed back at the feet of the full back who smashed a ferocious effort into the top corner for 2-0. Talbot sealed all three points when Dwayne Hyslop scored his second of the match seven minutes later, with a header that despite the best efforts of the Cumbernauld keeper McGee was deemed to again have crossed the line and it finished 3-0 to Auchinleck who stay a point ahead of Clydebank in second place.

Clydebank travelled to Bonnyton in good spirits after their late comeback last week and with half an hour on the clock Goal of the Month for July winner Nicky Little put the Bankies ahead when he got on the end of Lee Gallacher’s cutback to fire home, eight minutes later the Bankies moved further ahead when Hamish McKinlay dinked the ball over theĀ  Bonnyton keeper to make it 2-0. Things didnt get much better in the second half for Bonnyton when a minute after the re-start McKinlay rolled the ball into the corner of the net to make it 3-0 Clydebank. Bonnyton pulled a goal back when Thomas Demspie fired into the top corner just after the hour mark, but the Bankies had the final say when with just under ten minutes to go Joe Slattery made it 4-1 to the visitors. Bonnyton remain rooted to the bottom of the table while Clydebank remain second.

Kilwinning Rangers went into their home match v Largs Thistle on the back of their first defeat of the season the previous week against Cumnock looking to get back to winning ways however this was dealt a blow in the 13th minute when Carlo Monti was red carded for denying a goalscoring opportunity, reducing the Buffs to ten men. They were then reduced to nine men in the 69th minute when Ross Smith was shown a straight red for serious foul play but despite the two man advantage Largs couldn’t capitalise and the Buffs battled out a 0-0 draw. Kilwinning stay in third with Pollok closing the gap and Largs move on to 8 points as they sit in 17th.

Beith faced the trip to Portland Park to face Troon on the back of a good 1-1 draw at Beechwood in their last WoSFL outing, while Troon had won 2 and drawn one of their last 3, the teams having scored 35 goals between them in their combined 22 matches played, conceding 31 so goals looked like they may be on the card, but it wasn’t to be as Troon hit the post, had efforts cleared off the line, and missed some good chances whilst Beith also had a couple of good chances, and did also have the ball in the net when Kenny McLean had stroked a cross into the bottom corner but the assistant had his flag up and it was ruled out for offside and it finished 0-0

Rob Roy had put together a run of four wins to move them up the table in recent weeks, but had failed to win in their last two coming into the match v Rossvale, who had won two and drawn one of their previous three matches but it was Rob Roy who came out on top at Guys Meadow despite going behind after 31 minutes when Conor Macdonald opened the scoring for the visitors but Luke Kelly levelled it up just before half time at 1-1. Rob Roy took the lead in the 59th minute when Cameron Henry netted their second and wrapped it up four minutes later when Ian Gold made it 3-1 to move the Roy up three places to tenth whilst Rossvale remain in 15th.

Blantyre Vics could have leapfrogged Rossvale into 15th with a win over Glenafton at the KG Stadium, although a win for Glenafton would have seen them overtake both Blantyre and Rossvale given the ‘Vale result but as it was both sides missed the chance to move up the table with a 1-1 draw. Grant Brennan gave the home side the lead just before half time, then the Vics thought they had doubled their lead in the 58th minute when they scored from a corner but the goal was chalked off for offside and Vics were then reduced to ten men when Sam MacKenzie was sent off for dissent. It looked like the ten man Vics might see the win out but with six minutes to go Leon Murphy scored an equaliser and the match finished all square.

Kilbirnie’s new management team of Thomas Molloy and Shaun Dillon got off to a flying start as they took charge of their first WoSFL match since moving from Greenock as their side welcomed Rutherglen Glencairn to Valefield, a win that sees the Blasties now unbeaten in 3 matches with 2 wins either side of a draw. They got off to a great start when Dylan Henry opened the scoring when he collected the ball at the edge of the six yard box, turned and rolled it past the Glencairn keeper and he doubled their lead 14 minutes later in the 36th minute as he cut inside from the right wing and from just inside the box 12 yards out fired a shot off the inside of the post and into the net. Glencairn got right back into the match when Harry Mitchell smashed home a screamer from 25 yards into the top corner after 43 minutes to make it 2-1 and that’s how the scoreline stayed throughout the second half. The win moves Kilbirnie onto 7 points for the season and to within a point of Largs and Glenafton in the positions directly above them whilst Glencairn stay in 14th with 11 points.