Matchday 12 – PDM Buildbase Conference A Review

With pre-match league leaders Arthurlie not playing this weekend in the PDM Buildbase Conference A, there was an ideal opportunity for Shotts to go above them as they faced up against a Lugar side struggling for form and shipping a lot of goals, and take the opportunity they did as they ran out 5-0 winners at Rosebank Park. Taylor Evans opened the scoring for the Bon Accord after 21 minutes and it was 2-0 7 minutes later when Scott Faulds netted. It was 2-0 at the break but goals from Jordan Logan (53), Alistair Martin (73) and Michael Blues (86) saw Shotts go two points clear at the top of the table albeit Arthurlie have two games in hand

Maybole went into their match away to Craigmark on the back of a 7-0 defeat at Newlandsfield to Pollok in the Junior Cup, but their league form prior to that had saw them unbeaten in their previous four matches, nine points behind their opponents, who occupied 3rd place before kick off, and on a good run of form themselves with 4 wins in their previous 5. It was the visitors who went ahead in the 52nd minute when Jack Smith opened the scoring and then Maybole doubled their lead when Paul Cameron made it 2-0 after 75 minutes. Craigmark got back into the match with five minutes to go when Ryan Caddis scored but it was too little too late for Craigmark and they moved down to 5th in the table, with Maybole now level on points with Johnstone Burgh with a game in hand.

Johnstone Burgh and Forth Wanderers went into their match at Keanie Park level on points, with the Burgh 5 goals better off so it looked like a tight affair may take place and that’s how it turned out as Forth went back to Lanarkshire with all 3 points courtesy of a Jonathan Branks goal after 21 minutes, a result that saw Forth move up to 6th, whilst the Burgh dropped from 7th to 9th in the table.

Maryhill took full advantage of the Burgh’s defeat when they overcame Irvine Victoria in an 8 goal thriller at Lochburn Park that saw the ‘Hill come back from 2-0 down when Ben Killington (2) and Francis Kilpatrick (23) put the visitors ahead, but just before half time Maryhill reduced the deficit to a single goal courtesy of Ryan Wallace. Maryhill then drew level in the 54th minute through Jay McInally but two minutes later Irvine Vics retook the lead when Francis Kilpatrick got his second and the Vics 3rd. Robert O’Neil levelled for Maryhill in the 71st minute and it looked like a  share of the points was the most likely outcome until Jay McInally put Maryhill ahead for the first time in the match after 84 minutes and then completed his hat-trick in the 89th minute to finally see the three points sealed for the home side. Maryhill move up to 7th with the win, and despite the defeat there are plenty of positives for bottom placed Irvine Victoria as they still hunt their first win of the season.

Whitletts faced Glasgow University at Dam Park knowing a win would put them within 2 points of pre-match league leaders Arthurlie and would have been disappointed in the 13th minute when the visitors took the lead through Lewis Dibble, but that disappointment would turn out to be temporary when Scott Dempster equalised after 35 minutes brought Whitletts level and then the same player scored a minute before half time to put Whitletts 2-1 up at the break. A 66th minute Kieran McLaughlin penalty gave the home side a two goal cushion before Isaac Kerr added the gloss to a 4-1 win with a 93rd minute goal to see Whitletts move up to 3rd in the table whilst Glasgow Uni stay 12th in the table.

Muirkirk were awarded a 3-0 default walkover after Saltcoats Victoria forfeited the match and this moves the Kirk up to fourth in the conference.