Matchday 11 Round up – Saturday 21st August 2021

With a host of WoSFL Clubs on Scottish Junior Cup duty this weekend it was a much reduced league fixture card with only ten league matches over our five divisions and a Strathclyde Demolition First Round Cup tie between Premier Division Rutherglen Glencairn and Division Four’s Finnart Star.

We start with the game of the day in the Premier Division where Clydebank and Darvel met at Holm Park. The visitors led at the break thanks to an own goal on the stroke of half time by Bailey and they doubled their lead as substitute Andy Stirling headed home after 65 minutes. There was late drama to come though and in with nine minutes remaining Clydebank grabbed themselves a lifeline when Jamie Darroch reduced the deficit firing home off the underside of the crossbar and then the Clydebank skipper kept his cool in the third minute of stoppage time for his second of the match to level the match at 2-2 with a penalty much to the delight of the home fans.

Kilwinning had yet to taste defeat in the league this season as they travelled to Townhead Park to face Cumnock knowing a win would put them back top with Auchinleck on SJFA Cup duty but that run was to come to an end at full time as a Findlay Frye goal after 31 minutes gave Cumnock all three points moving Cumnock up into 8th place in the table and the Buffs down to third.

Rossvale moved up to 15th with their first back to back wins of the season as they beat Bonnyton 3-1 at the Synergy Arena to leave Bonnyton without a point in their last eight matches and anchored to the bottom of the league. Dean McColm opened the scoring for the home side Bonntyon after 32 minutes from the spot and they took that lead into the half time break but Rossvale flew out of the traps in the second half to equalise through Jamie Young in the 48th minute. It looked like we were heading for a draw but Rossvale grabbed a second in the 85th minute courtesy of Ross McKenzie and made sure all three points would be theirs in the 90th minute when Conor MacDonald scored a third to give Rossvale a 3-1 win.

There was only one match in the PDM Buildbase Conference A where Maryhill travelled to Girvan knowing a win would move them above their hosts in the table and they went 2-0 up in the first half with goals from Ryan Wallace and Tony Etherson, Girvan pulled a goal back through Kieran Balfour as he netted from an Alan Orr cross with four minutes to go till half time. Girvan then got back on level terms five minutes after the break when Ross Clark headed home a Martyn Brown cross. Girvan had a great chance to go 3-2 ahead in the 55th minute but Craig Harvey missed from the penalty spot. This was to prove costly for the Seasiders as two minutes later Darren Kennedy regained the visitors lead to make it 3-2 to Maryhill and thats how it finished as Maryhill move up to 9th and Girvan down to 11th

Conference B also had only one match where Port Glasgow hosted Kello at the Port Glasgow Community Stadium and it was the visitors who went ahead through Kieran Pagan in the 17th minute but the Undertakers were level in the 35th minute when Jamie McKay levelled, and the Port took a 2-1 lead into the break when Thomas O’Donoghue netted with 4 minutes to go till half time. The Port sealed all three points in the 74th minute when Euan Campbell made it 3-1 to see the Port move up to 4th position in the Conference A table

Conference C had two matches and leaders Drumchapel took on a Saint Anthony’s side coming into the game on the back of two wins back to back for the first time this season and in good form but they were blown away by a Drum side who scored through captain Martin Grehan after 31 seconds for the first of his three goals, he notched his and Drumchapel’s second after 19 minutes to make it 2-0 and it was 3-0 shortly after when McMullin netted after 31 minutes. Grehan completed his hat-trick two minutes later to take the home side into the half time break 4-0 ahead. The second half was more of the same and Drumchapel made it 5-0 after 63 minutes when Ryan Deas beat Smith in the Ants goal. The Ants scored the goal of the game with a superb Shaun Gallacher strike to make it 5-1 on 67 but goals from the Smith brothers, first Cammy in 78 and then 3 minutes later Jack after 81 made it finish at Petershill Park 7-1 to Drumchapel

In the other Conference C match Neilston got back to winning ways after their long unbeaten run was ended on Wednesday night against Saint Anthony’s with a 2-0 win away to Vale of Clyde at Fullerton Park. A Cammy Haddow spot kick right on the stroke of half time gave the Farmer’s boys a 1-0 lead going into the second half and Jamie Docherty sealed the win in the 50th minute when he netted with an angled chip after Scott had saved from Bolger to lift Neilston above St Roch’s into 2nd place with the Candy on cup duty.

Kilsyth Athletic took full advantage of Finnart Star’s Strathclyde Demolition Cup duty by beating Campbeltown Pupils 5-2 at Duncansfield with a hat-trick from Jamie McAllister, as well as goals for Mikey Downs and Ryan Gibson, with 10 man Campbeltown’s two goals coming from Don McCallum.

Harmony Row moved up to fifth with Harthill on cup duty with a 1-1 draw with Glenvale, who’s 3 match winning streak was ended at New Tinto Park. The Govan side took the lead after 27 minutes through Harry Galloway but Ross Stevenson equalised with 14 minutes left to give both sides a point.

St Peters bounced back from defeat to Harmony Row in sensational fashion steam rolling BSC Glasgow 8-2 at New Western Park. Scott Arthur opened the scoring after the 27th minute and ten minutes later grabbed his and St Peter’s second ten minutes later and Macauley McArthur made it 3-0 two minutes later. Two minutes after the break Aran McDonald made it 4-0 and in the 59th minute got St Peter’s 5th goal. Captain Ciaran Friel made it 6-0 in the 66th minute before Martin Beckett reduced the deficit in the 72nd minute to make it 6-1. St Peter’s weren’t finished adding to their tally for the day though and two goals in four minutes from substitutes Ross Gemmel (79) and Anthony Gordon (82) made it 8-1 to the Paisley side before Matthew Melvin scored an 84th minute consolation goal for BSC.

There was also Strathclyde Demolition Cup action as Premier Division Rutherglen Glencairn faced off against Division Four new boys Finnart Star at the Hamish B Allan stadium. A goal-less first half, the match sprung into life only two minutes into the second when Glencairn took the lead from a Persley Sojila own goal, with the ball rebounding off the bar and off the unfortunate defenders head and into the empty net. Harry Mitchell made it 2-0 Glencairn with a fine effort from the D of the penalty box after an hour and eight minutes later he made it 3-0 with his second goal of the game with a superb free kick that gave Paton in the Finnart goal no chance. Scott Schoenville smashed home a fourth from an angle after 77 minutes to make it 4-0 and sub Marcus Fraser put the cherry on the cake in the 85th minute making it 5-0 to the Glens who now go into the draw for the quarter final of the cup.